Saturday, January 15, 2011

Can't

This may be the hormones talking but I am so tired of hearing "you can't" or "you won't be able to" or "it will be so hard."

"You won't be able to use cloth diapers because you don't have a washer and dryer in your apartment.  You won't be able to lug your diapers and the baby down stairs to wash them.  You won't be able to handle the smell of the diapers."  How do people think I'm going to laundry?  Won't cloth diapers just be another load of laundry I have to wash anyway?  And these comments are coming from people who have never even tried cloth diapers.

"You won't be able to work because J has such a crazy schedule."  If I don't work, how are we going to get insurance?  Isn't there a saying, "If there's a will there's a way?"

"It will be so hard for you to work and do cloth diapers and breastfeed because . . . ."  Isn't having kids hard?  Won't my life change completely overnight anyways?  If I do all these things from the beginning I won't know any other way right?  Are we going to tell a blind person not to leave their house because it will be so hard for them out in the world?  Or a paralyzed person he can't run a marathon because it will be too hard?

I get that other people have the luxury of having a washer and dryer in their dwelling.  Does it suck now having to climb stairs and load my card at the office?  Yes, but I do it cause that's what I have to do.  I get that people have the luxury of staying home with their children.  That's awesome for them.  Unfortunately, J does not get insurance.  It's always been my responsibility to provide the insurance for my family.  Does it suck?  At times yes.  I don't want to work at Starbucks for minimum wage dealing with coffee addicts but I do it cause I love J and am willing to do it for us.  The other thing I just can't seem to get out of my mind is how privileged we as Americans are.  There are women all over the world who don't even have clean drinking water or food or a house or clothes or anything and guess what, they have babies everyday.  I bothers me so much that we as a society think we need all this stuff when we have kids.  And just cause there is an easier option doesn't mean that it's the right one.

  

10 comments:

Jenn said...

You're amazing and I love it. You will do awesome!

Heather said...

Love this post! It is all so true. Girl I did laundry in those same apartments, dragging 2 kids and bags of clothes up and down those stairs. I think tiago learned to walk because of those stairs, lol! You will be fine. I am also wanting to cloth diaper and the reasons you mention swayed me the first 2 times but not this time, i swear im going to do it once baby 3 hits 8 pounds or so. As for breast feeding, it is hard, yes, does it hurt the first week yes, but can you do it, of course. Diets, new jobs, everything is hard in the beginning but you get used to it.
So excited for you all and vent away girl, get those emotions out better the computer than somebody, lol!
-h

Hayde said...

You got this.
Yes you can, yes you will, yeS, yES,
YES!
You are your Mama's girl Katie...anything is possible!
Love to you...

AllisonK said...

Another cheering cousin! There is nothing your can't do and yes sometimes it's complicated. There will always be the "comments".

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hell yeah! Katie, you can make things work however you want, however you need to do things! Its gonna be different, it could be difficult, but it is going to be good, and you're going to be fantastic! Don't let anyone convince you otherwise!

Anonymous said...

That last comment was me:)

Anders

Jessica said...

Katie, We come from a heritage of strong incredible women (Guelita Alba, your Grandmother, your beautiful and fun mom, and all of our crazy aunts)who have all done hard things for their families; you are simply carrying on the tradition.

You are AMAZING! You remind me of your mom in so many ways, your little boy will be blessed to have such a great fun mom.

Michelle said...

You can do it!
I have learned that we are all more capable than even we realize we are.
That didn't really make sense. Oh well.

Love you!

Unknown said...

Venting is good, and sí se puede. :) You can do it. I love that people always want to tell you what's right for them is right for you. :) You will be a wonderful mom. I just wished I lived closer to see your cute boy. If you need help when the baby comes or after holler. I could use a vacation. :)

Carrie-Area Director said...

Girl I support you all the way! You can do anything you want and put your mind to! I lived on the 3rd floor with both Ryker and Zallie and laundy was in the basement. I put Ryker in the Bjorn and Zallie in the laundry basket and I got a workout while doing the steps! It all worked out!

My friend Megan was 100% for cloth diapers and refused to change her mind. She said when she had busy weeks and couldn't get them washed she would just call this service who would pick up her dirty cloth diapers and replace them with clean ones. She didn't use this all the time but during holiday weeks or other weeks when she just had too much going on to get it done. There's always a way! You do what you want and don't let anyone tell you different!