Monday, October 18, 2010

A recap of race day!

Yesterday was my third half marathon.  I realized that each half I have completed have happened during special times in my life.  The first was 2 weeks before I got married.  The second happened right before I turned 30 and yesterday I finished while carrying a 17 week old baby in my belly.  They all have so much meaning and I will never forget any of them.

I signed up to run this race in January.  I had no idea at that time that I would be pregnant come race day but I was determined to finish none the less.  Training was minimal due to morning sickness but I walked as much as I could whenever I could.  I did a 9 miler last Sunday and felt good so I knew I could finished 13.

I went into the race telling myself it was not about the time or speed I kept, it was simply about finishing.  The gun went off and I set off step by step.  Immediately I was swallowed up by all the runners but I just smiled and cheered them on.  By mile 4, I was with other walkers and felt better about the pace I was on.  I stopped at 2 Burger King's, one in Canada and one in Detroit, to use their bathrooms.  I was tempted to buy hashbrowns but opted against it.  Just kidding, sort of.  I also stopped and waited for a friend at mile 8.  She signed up with me but didn't have time to train so I talked her into walking the last 5 with me.  Mostly cause I knew I would need the motivation at that point.  I'm glad she came and joined me.

Matt decided to sign up for the full last week, with no training at all.  He is so crazy.  He was on a 3:30 pace until mile 20 when both hammies cramped up so bad he almost fell over.  He had to stop and stretch.  He would run 200 feet and then cramp up and have to stop and stretch.  He finished the race this way.  I missed him at the finish line cause he headed straight into the medical tent.  They gave him electrolytes and wrapped his thighs with ice.  They wanted to give him an IV but he talked them out of it.  (One the docs in the tent was one of the docs who worked for the Ignition and knew Matt.)  He drank a Red Bull before the race and thinks the caffeine was the reason he cramped.  They say never try something new on race day.  This is a good example why.

I'm really glad we both finished and did this together.  We are both sore and hobbling around but are also soaring with excitement and adrenaline.

7 comments:

dusty kay said...

Great job both of you! Katie, I'm so proud you did it. I'm sure I wouldn't have if I had been pregnant!! I just signed up for my first full this May. I'm worried. I've read about cramping and stuff. Physically I'm ready, I just need to work on mentally and being prepared for anything! Great job you two. I'll remember no red bull! :)

Unknown said...

Great work! I can't believe you did it while you were pregnant. You are amazing. I would have died. I'm glad you both finished and are doing great. Hooray!

Michelle said...

Way to go! I'm impressed, I can't do that un-pregnant.

AllisonK said...

Congratulations!!! You are awesome.

Jessie said...

Katie, You are amazing! Congratulations on another half marathon. I can't believe Jono ran without training, I wish I could do that.

Carrie-Area Director said...

You are so amazing! Great job girlie! I have never even attempted to walk one while you have done 3 and one while prego! I need to use you as some motivation! Have you still been feeling pretty well? I'm so excited to find out what your having! PLEASE text me after your apt! Miss you lady!!!

Heather said...

Thats neat that each happened at such a special time, I had no idea. learn something new about you all the time, lol!
-h