Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Look at me go!

I have a communication class this semester and one of our latest projects was to choose a book and read to the class while pretending they were 4 years old. My teacher liked my book and asked if I would be interested in reading to the kids in the day care on campus! Absolutely! How fun! So, I went last Friday and read to the kids and loved it. I met the director and we started talking and I ended up leaving her my number just in case she ever needed help in the center. Well, she called me on Monday and offered me a job!!! WHAT!?!?! I am over the moon. It's set hours and I will be working with the children directly! I will basically be a teachers assistant. Only thing, there is no insurance and I don't have time to do this and Bux. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm assuming Bux is Starbucks. It's hard to say for sure, but I didn't have insurance for a few years while I was single. It worked out ok for me. I had some money saved for emergencies. I ended up at instacare a few times, but nothing big. It's definitely a personal decision. It's a lot more fun to work somewhere you love. Good luck. Let me know if there is something we can do to help. We love you!

Heather said...

Well if you ever want to work with kids, do it before you have your own. I had a friend work in a day care center and by the time she got home to her kids, she had no energy for her own kids. Just a thought.
-h

Carrie-Area Director said...

I'm going to have to agree with Heather, if you want to work with kids do it while you don't have any! I did Daycare for years and then was a drug/alcohol counselor for kids and with all that I swore I would never have kids. Once I got a break from other peoples kids I was all about having my own! Now I have my own and nanny 3 times a week but it's for only 2 kids not 20! Which environment do you prefer more? I know you like kids of friends and family but do you also love kids you have no ties with? Which place pays you more? Set schedules are awesome in my point of view and insurance is also important but you can always just buy a little plan. I've done that a few times! What are you leaning towards? Make a list of pros and cons for both, maybe that will make you 'see' what is better for you!