Monday, August 27, 2007

WWJD?

I am making veggie creole for the boys tonight. Jess is back at school leaving Kyt home alone, Megan is back in Pittsburg nursing her brother back to health leaving Mike home alone and Danny is in town for the week. I am using the veggies Jess gave me but needed a few more things to prepare dinner so I went to the local grocery. I had done most of my shopping but remembered that I needed quarters to do laundry tomorrow so I hopped into the customer service line. There were 2 people working customer service and 10 people in line. One of the woman at the counter needed to mail something and the employees were having a hard time getting the postal machine to work. I think that I had been standing in line for not more than two minutes when the following conversation occurred . . .

#5 person in line, young grandma with her 2 10 year oldish grandkids who are running around going crazy, "God, what is taking so long?"
#4 person in line, middle aged man, "I don't know but you damn well know that those shit employees are going to take their sweet ass time dealing with her so they don't have to work."
My thought at that time is, really? You think those employees are going to take their time? Have you ever worked a counter and looked up and seen a huge line? The last thing you are thinking at that moment is I'm going to take my sweet ass time.
#5 "I know that is the truth. Where the hell is the manager?"
#4 "What the hell are they going to do? They are worse than the regular workers."
Again, my thoughts. What do you want the manager to do? Come in with a whip and make them work faster or wave their magic wand to make the machine magically work?
#5 "Tell the lady she has to go to the post office to send her package." Turns and smiles at me like I should be on her side.
My thoughts, if #5 were the lady at the counter she would be pissed if the employee told you to leave and go to the post office. Should have said that, but I choked.
#4 YELLING, "Your line is getting bigger!"
At this point I turn and look at #4 to make an excuse for him. I like to play that game. If someone is tailgating me I tell myself they are going to the hospital because their wife is having a baby or that they are late for work. Unfortunately for #4 I got nothing. He was a tall thick man with a really long pony tail. The thing that got me though was his shirt. There was a big white circle in the middle of his big black shirt that said, The Chruch of the Lord, It's all about passion. WAIT A MINUTE! Are you kidding me? You are sporting a shirt like that and yelling at people in the middle of the grocery store? The only thing I can come up with is that he got the shirt at Good Will or something. Ok, you are right. Maybe he was just having a bad day but come on. Who in their right mind thinks they have the right and privilege to yell at someone? What has happened to humanity? All in all I waited less than 10 minutes for my quarters but left so frustrated. I get so pissed at people for the way they behave but that makes me pissy so how does that make me any better? Everyone has their own story and I am not going to change the way they are, especially not in line at the grocery. My focus for this week, smile whenever possible and don't let them get to me.

No comments: