Monday, October 20, 2008

I'm still standing, barely!

In January 2 gals from REI and I signed up to run the Detroit Half Marathon. We started our training right away and were doing group runs once a week with hopes or pushing those up to 2 or 3 times a week. Well life happened and we stopped training for one reason or another. None of us trained at all the last 2 months and we were really nervous about the race. We decided to run it anyway just to see how we would do and because we paid $75 to run it. The race was yesterday and it went pretty good. I decided to walk it instead of killing myself and trying to run it. I found the 3 hour pace setter and stuck with her most of the way until I had to stand in line at a bathroom for 15 minutes. Oh well, it was a good break. I finished in 3 hours 15 minutes, I'm telling everyone I finished in 3 hours because of the whole bathroom episode. I feel pretty good today. Sore and stiff and but that's to be expected, even if I did train. The course was beautiful. We ran over the bridge to Canada and ran through Windsor. The sun was just coming up when I was on the bridge. Beautiful. We crossed back into the United States in the underground tunnel. It was a great day and the weather was perfect. So glad I did it and am thinking of signing up for next year. Think I will do at least a little training for next year though.

5 comments:

AllisonK said...

Go Katie! That is wonderful that you did this. Seriously cool.

dusty kay said...

That's awesome Katie! Good for you!!

Jessica said...

I'm glad you had a good run yesterday. I'm also glad that you are posting again. It's good to hear what you are doing. We miss you!

Heather said...

Nice! Thats one of my goals is to finish a marathon, we will see, lol!
-h

Missy said...

Yah! I'm proud of you. I don't think I could ever run a marathon.

I keep forgetting that we are so close (relatively speaking) to each other. I live in Indiana and I've been to Michigan twice in the last three months! I'll have to do a better job planning so maybe I can see you next time!