Saturday, April 19, 2008

Family vs work!

I need some quick advise. Here is the short story. When I was hired at REI I told management that I could work whenever they needed me to except when J had a game. REI told me that was fine. They could work around my schedule I just had to turn in time off request sheets 21 days in advance. I was fine with that. So I made a calendar of with all his games on it and turned it in. This was in Sept, last year! So, I asked for this weekend off because it is the semifinal weekend and I was hoping that his team would make it to the playoffs. Well, they did, yippee!! My time off for this weekend was approved and they did not schedule me to work. About a month ago we got a new store manager. She decided that it is time for an all store meeting. She scheduled it for Sunday at 6pm. I informed her that J's game was Sunday at 430pm and would take at least 2 hours so I was not going to be able to attend the store meeting. She told me that I need to take my job seriously and that I needed to attend the meeting. WHAT!!! IS SHE KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW!!! Then she proceeds to say, "It's just a sport game anyway!" Whoa there sister. You are crossing the line big time now. So my question is should I go to the meeting or not. I might loose my job if I don't go but really, who cares right?! My good friend Becky said, "In ten years is it going to effect you if you don't go to the store meeting? In ten years is it going to effect you if you don't go the game? Which is more important, REI or your family?" I know she's right but I have never gone against what a manager has told me before. Do you think deep down she will understand or do think she is really planning on me going to the meeting? Help!!! What would you do?

6 comments:

Vanessa and Rebecca said...

Tou can tell her that it isn't just a sporting event but J's work. Consider it a business meeting/dinner.family all the way.

Jessica said...

That's a tough one. I would be at the game. Especially if it is a playoff game. I like what Vanessa said, consider it a business dinnner. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

Carrie-Area Director said...

Go to the game! Johno is your life, not REI. REI is a job you happen to have right now in your life but it's not a forever thing! Family is always more important and that is an important game that you should really be at! If they are going to fire you over not attending a meeting on a day you requested off than they are probably not the type of company you want to work for anyway. What are they going to do when you have a sick child someday....tell you to leave the kid with a babysitter? It really angers me that they are treating you like that!

Heather said...

Well I finally found my way over here, so be expecting my mouthy comments, lol!

Family girl! family!! you cant miss this sunday.

plus, its good to be the bad girl once in awhile regarding work, lol!

-h

AllisonK said...

I agree with that everyone has said. Johno everyday!

Jenn said...

Family for sure! I would call her bluff I would be SHOCKED if they actually let a great employee like you go over missing a meeting. I am sure there are others with less important things going on that will be missing the meeting. Just let her know you understand the meeting is important, but you have already made arrangements to support your husband in his CAREER and will be happy to be filled in on everything on your next shift.