Saturday, June 03, 2006

And here she comes . . .

Well, I did it. I wasn't pretty, but I did it!!! Beautiful morning, nice cool temps. Johno took me to the starting line and I head straight for the port o potty. I am not kidding, there were 100 port o potty's, pop's from now on, and each pop had a line of 50 people. So the wheel chairs and elite runners took off and where was I, in the line for the pop. So by the time I got to the starting line there was no one left. The start was empty. Should have skipped the pop. Oh well, now I know for next time. First 6 miles were great. Mostly down hill and still nice temps. Johno found me at mile 6 and walked with him for a half a mile or so and I think that was a bad idea too. Once I stopped it was hard to get going again. Did a run walk from mile 6 until mile 11 and then I was toast. I saw a cute girl that was in the same shape I was in and asked her if she wanted a partner. She smiled and said "YES!" So we walked mile 11 until mile 12 and then the plan was to run the last mile. Well, a quarter of a mile into 12 I just couldn't do it. So, we walked until 12 1/2 and ran the last half. Longest half mile ever! Towards the end I saw Johno, Matt and Candice and I almost burst out into tears but I held it in. I clocked my time in at 2 hours and 45 minutes. That isn't official but it's close enough. I got passed by the top three woman marathon finishers and the top 5 men's marathon finishers. They are amazing. The woman who came in third place pooped her pants and finished the race like that. I was sick. I couldn't believe she was that dedicated. Crazy. I have so much respect for elite runners. They are crazy! Came home and took a nap and now I am cleaning up the house. Still can't believe I did it. 13 miles. When is the next race?

No comments: